Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Introducing...

I would like to introduce the latest addition to my studio, a vintage Peacock Table  Loom!
Recently my mom and I discovered that you can get great deals for old looms on Ebay, and well... you can see the result. :-) I also got another small table loom for workshops and stuff, but it needs a bit more restoration before it gets it's own post. So, back to the Peacock! The Peacock is from the 1940's, but is in surprisingly great condition. All I needed to do was dust it off! It has two shafts with string needles, a twelve inch weaving width, and a five dent reed built into the loom. For the Peacocks maiden project I decided to weave a warp-faced chenille scarf. Firstly, EVERYTHING I have read about chenille is true. It is incredibly difficult to keep an even tension when winding the warp, and the ends stick together so I need to run my fingers through each shed before weaving a pick. However, everything about how beautiful and soft chenille is... is also true. I love how this scarf is turning out already! I want to keep it, but considering I already have several scarves, it will probably end up a Christmas present. I just hope that it will be loved!
A close-up of the beautiful chenille.

No comments:

Post a Comment