Thursday, April 14, 2016

Why should I wait to dye another day...


...when the weather today was perfect?

This morning saw me running downstairs with an armful of wool, food coloring, and a mason jar. Symptoms my family interpret as meaning: "Get out of her way if you don't want to be covered in color!".
Let us just say that I checked the weather forecast, and it was PERFECT. No clouds, low winds, and temperatures in the high 70's. The time of year has come... for solar dyeing!
I tried solar dyeing a few weeks after my first dye project, and I fell in love. Who wouldn't like stuffing some wool, food coloring, vinegar, and water into a jar, and then letting it bake in the sun? I certainly enjoy it, and the fact that it produces stunning colors is a bonus.


While I was letting the wool "bake", I started planning the first project for the Wolf loom. I have decided on some placemats in a Norwegian pattern in honor of the first owner.

 This warp will be short, so I can get the in's and out's of the loom without worrying about wasting too much yarn, but I  plan on making the next one full-length so I can give away some placemats as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment