Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Scrub! a.k.a. Adopting a Wolf Part 2



The loom was finally upstairs and safely in my room. The next step? A very thorough cleaning!
I took as much of the loom apart as I dared, and spent a LOT of time scrubbing every inch of wood I could see. While I was cleaning I also opened the two mysterious packages that came with the loom.

The first and smallest one contained two shuttles, the original owners weaving notes(!), instructions for the loom, and... EXTRA HEADDLES! I was already worried I would have to buy more for the loom, and this turned into a lovely surprise. However, the second package was even better...
It contained not one, but TWO reeds in 8 and 12 dents, wooden lease sticks, warp spacers, extra apron rods, and a raddle! Everything, absolutely EVERYTHING that came with the original loom was here. That is truly a rarity in used looms.
Even more impressive however, is that the loom's history is as complete as it's components.
The original owner was a Norwegian woman who took a weaving class in Sedona, Arizona, when she bought the loom. After that, the loom traveled with her to Texas where she kept it until she sadly passed away. She left the loom to her nurse, who is a very talented artist. (her work makes what I'm doing look like child's play, which to be fair, it kind of is.) Unfortunately, she travels a lot, and the loom was simply too big to take along. So, for 14 years the loom waited patiently in a shed for someone to come along and weave.
Two days ago "someone" finally came.
(after stopping to take a picture of this adorable calf!)
The owner of the loom had decided that she wanted the loom to go to a good home, and that is how she found my weaving mentor. After that, my mentor told her about a certain crazy teenager with a love for weaving. And so, a friendship was born, and a loom was squeezed into the back of my mom's car.
 Which brings us back to yesterday, and scrubbing.
My mentor once told me that several cultures believe that if a loom is not used then the "soul" will go out of it. Personally, I think that it just goes to sleep...
...until someone cleans it up and starts using it again.

2 comments: